What the Mesothelioma Commercials Don’t Tell You
If you live in the U.S., you may have learned everything you know about mesothelioma through television advertisements by law firms with the meme “If You or a Loved One Has Been Diagnosed with Mesothelioma”. Although these commercials paint a bleak picture for victims of the disease and ensure the viewers that compensation is available to them, there is still plenty more viewers should know about mesothelioma.
Facts About Mesothelioma:
- Mesothelioma is a deadly cancer caused by past exposure to asbestos. There are few effective treatments, and there is no cure.
- Most often, asbestos exposure occurred at work. Victims often worked as plumbers, pipefitters, insulators, electricians, mechanics, car mechanics and in shipyards and mills.
- Military veterans make up nearly one-third of all mesothelioma cases. Military veterans were exposed to asbestos in the barracks, on ships and in boiler rooms, among other places.
- Spouses and children of workers who brought asbestos fibers home on their clothes, shoes and hair can develop mesothelioma. This form of exposure is known as second-hand exposure and is just as lethal.
- Mesothelioma symptoms, such as pain, coughing and difficulty with breathing, develop decades after the initial asbestos exposure. It can take as long as 60 years before symptoms present themselves.
- Nearly 3,000 Americans are diagnosed with mesothelioma each year with approximately the same number losing their lives to the disease.
Compensation for Mesothelioma Victims
A complex, aggressive, and incurable disease, like mesothelioma, requiring the services of specialized doctors, complex treatments, and caregiver support can lead to excessive bills. Managing these costs is challenging and sometimes even impossible. However, compensation for physical, emotional and psychological pain and suffering may be available to mesothelioma victims.
It is important to take action to claim compensation for your asbestos disease. The time you have to make a claim begins counting down the day you are diagnosed with mesothelioma. The time limit, or statute of limitations, varies by state. In New York, for example, you have three years to file a claim.
- Military veterans: Have a legal right to claim financial compensation from the asbestos manufacturers that resulted in the illness. Veteran’s may also be eligible to file a claim with the Veteran’s Administration for compensation.
- Workers: Establishing the source of workers’ asbestos exposure will determine which asbestos company is responsible for the illness and, ultimately, responsible for compensation.
- Second Hand Exposure: Late last year, the California Supreme Court ruled that companies whose employees bring asbestos fibers home with them can be held liable in the case of an illness in a family member. This helps ensure that these mesothelioma victims receive compensation just as those workers or veterans who were at the source of the asbestos are eligible.
Lawyers Can Help You Make Financial Claims
You should find a lawyer who is compassionate and knowledgeable and with whom you feel comfortable enough to get you the best compensation.
If you want to make a claim for VA benefits, understanding the process and working through all the red tape can be daunting. Securing a lawyer can give you the best results.
Your health should be your biggest concern, and Mesothelioma Help encourages those diagnosed with mesothelioma to first research all possible treatment options and seek out mesothelioma specialists for the best care.
To better understand the cancer and how to move forward, get free a Patient’s Guide to Mesothelioma from the New York Mesothelioma law firm of Belluck & Fox, LLP.
- Find out about your treatment options and typical prognosis.
- Use the handy reference for your medical and legal questions.
- Use the personal journal to track your treatments and other important information
Anyone who has been diagnosed with mesothelioma should understand that they are a victim. Mesothelioma does not just happen to you, it is caused by the negligence of companies. They should be held responsible for your illness and should compensate you for the illness they caused.
Free Mesothelioma Patient & Treatment Guide
We’d like to offer you our in-depth guide, “A Patient’s Guide to Mesothelioma,” absolutely free of charge.
It contains a wealth of information and resources to help you better understand the condition, choose (and afford) appropriate treatment, and exercise your legal right to compensation.Download Now