The new year inevitably brings with it New Year’s resolutions. Some people resolve to help others – what a great idea! Here are five ways that you can help the mesothelioma community, advocating for patients and their families, and honoring those who have lost their fight.
- Hold a fundraiser! It can be anything from a collection day to a 5k walk and run; trust me, it doesn’t have to be anything elaborate. Hosting an event raises both awareness and funds for mesothelioma research and support.
- Attend a conference! Each year, the Mesothelioma Applied Research Foundation holds a conference where personal stories, new research information, and general knowledge is shared. This is a great way to connect with others and to learn more about the disease that you can share.
- Talk to people! Tell your story. Don’t be afraid or embarrassed to let people know how mesothelioma has impacted your life. This can encourage them to get involved and help the cause as well.
- Write to your local representatives. Find out who your local representative is and write to them, asking for stricter laws regarding asbestos – ask for it to be made illegal as it is in many other countries. Talk to your friends and relatives and urge them to do the same.
- Pray! Prayer is powerful – never underestimate it. Keep those battling this disease and those close to them in your prayers. It means more to them than you know.
Enjoy 2015! Let’s make this the year where a cure is found and this awful cancer can be eradicated forever!