212-681-1575

Mesothelioma Patients Are Not Alone

The most important thing to know about mesothelioma is that you are not alone. Patients, family members, caregivers and medical professionals are all anxious to reach out to support mesothelioma sufferers to ensure they have the information and support they need to manage this debilitating disease.

Meet Our “Faces of Mesothelioma”

Mesothelioma survivors, their families and their medical teams know that living with mesothelioma is not easy; in fact, they know it can be difficult and can disrupt your life. But they are here to share their personal stories and to offer key information about the impact this cancer can have on your life, and your family’s lives. They are also here to offer hope to all mesothelioma patients.

Thoracic Nurse Provides Support Through “Nurse’s Corner”

Thoracic nurse Lisa Hyde-Barrett has been caring for mesothelioma patients for nearly 25 years. Working alongside some of the leading mesothelioma authorities at Brigham and Women’s Hospital, Lisa knows the challenges and obstacles patients and their families face; and Lisa knows what it takes to overcome those obstacles. Through our “Nurse’s Corner” Lisa will provide articles of crucial mesothelioma medical information as well as addressing patient’s questions and concerns.

Daughter Offers Treatment and Lifestyle Information

Jennifer Gelsick has been telling Don Smitley’s story as his daughter and part-time caregiver. Jennifer has taken the readers from the development of his symptoms, through his treatments and after his death, through the struggles of moving on. Jennifer offers practical information including how to prepare when traveling out of town for treatment, how to organize a fundraiser and what it means to be a caregiver to a mesothelioma patient.Through her strong faith and positve attitude Jennifer also shows families how they can keep moving forward even after a mesothelioma diagnosis.

Don Smitley was diagnosed with mesothelioma in January 2012, and after rigorous treatments and participation in a clinical trial, he enjoyed a year of life nearly free of mesothelioma symptoms before passing away in October 2013. Don Smitley found joy in playing Bluegrass as a member of his band, The Dunbar Boys, and in spending time with his family.

Daughter of Mesothelioma Patient Provides Insight Into Treatments, Caregiving and the Importance of Family and Friends

Amanda stepped up to the plate to be a caregiver when her father, David, was diagnosed with mesothelioma. Amanda has been there every step of the way for her father, and her support and care not only helped him recover, but forged an unbreakable bond between the two. Amanda takes the readers from the fear after learning of her father’s mesothelioma, to finding the courage to move forward with treatments, to family celebrations and to the daily struggles for a mesothelioma family. Follow Amanda, her father and her family during the family’s journey through her father’s battle with mesothelioma.

David a previous survivor of melanoma, knows what he is up against, and his strength and perseverance is what has carried him through his fight against mesothelioma. David was diagnosed with mesothelioma in January 2013. David likes to pass the time away at the Jersey Shore with his wife, Annie, daughter Amanda, and his two sons, Andrew and Adam.

Mesothelioma Warriors Provide Long-Term Survivor Guidance

Although Jan Egerton lost her battle to mesothelioma in January 2014, her insight into the struggles in dealing with mesothelioma can be found throughout our website. Jan was a true “mesothelioma warrior” and inspired people worldwide to never give up their fight against the disease or in finding a cure. Find Jan’s stories here: https://www.mesotheliomahelp.org/author/jegerton/

Louise “Lou” Williams, a survivor of both pleural and peritoneal mesothelioma, doesn’t let cancer slow her down. She spends her spare time traveling and enjoying her time with her extended family including her four grandchildren, seven step-grandchildren and two step great-grandchildren. Lou is also one of Australia’s most well-known mesothelioma advocates, and perhaps in the world, and she takes time every day to raise awareness of the dangers of asbestos.

Don Smitley and Jennifer Gelsick

I write this on what would have been my father’s 61st birthday. I write this with a broken heart and tear-stained cheeks. I write this as a daughter ...
Read Full Story

Want Specific topic updates?

Recently, I received a letter in the mail from Mary Hesdorffer, Executive Director of the Mesothelioma Applied Research Foundation. In it, she announc ...
Read Full Story

The Easter season is upon us once again, and with it comes a time of hope, beauty, and renewed faith. Now is a wonderful time to sit and reflect on wh ...
Read Full Story

Last night, my husband and I were on a date…  to the grocery store. (We’re quite glamorous that way!) I was walking down an aisle when I noticed ...
Read Full Story

The passing of someone you love changes you; anyone who has suffered a deep loss will tell you this. There is something about you that is just not the ...
Read Full Story

1 2 3 5

Send a Message to